The VW Crafter/Mercedes Sprinter C-Channel Awning Rail fits into the roof gully of 2006-2016 and 2017> vans with the C-profile extending just above the lip of the roof edge. This rail can be positioned to run just forward of the side door opening to just behind the rear of the door itself when fully open on all size wheelbases.
C-channel awning rails provide a quick and easy way to connect a detachable sun canopy or drive-away awning to a campervan or motorhome. A detachable sun canopy awning is a good cost saving alternative to having a bulky, costly wind-out awning permanently fitted to the side of a van.
To Fit: 1. Using a hacksaw or jigsaw, cut an 80mm diagonal section out of the front of the flat base of the awning rail, so it can be positioned a few centimeters further to the front where the roof gully starts to taper – see photo.
2. Carefully put some gentle bends downwards toward each end of the rail to roughly follow the curvature of the roof. This is easier to achieve when the rail is clamped in a workmate/workbench vice and and/or with help from a second person. As well as bending downwards, the rail will also have a natural tendency to bend outwards – don’t be too concerned with this and don’t overdo it as the bend doesn’t have to be exact. Putting a gentle curve in the rail will just help it seat better on the roof while you fix it and the self-tapping screw fixings will pull the rail fully into place.
3. Starting 4mm from each end, drill 4 x equally spaced holes through the rail, tape in position in the roof gully, mark and drill corresponding 2.5mm pilot holes in the roof surface.
4. Dust and clean the roof area - lay the rail back in position with 3.5mm x 13mm (No.6 ½”) self-tappers, silicone and kitchen roll on hand.
5. Starting at one end, lift the rail slightly and squeeze a small blob of clear silicone on top of the first hole in the roof and the hole on top of the rail, put the screw through the hole in the rail and locate into the roof hole. Screw the self-tapper in a couple of turns and move on to the next hole - repeat.
6. When all screws have been located, tighten, and wipe away any excess silicone.
If you want to take a 'belt and braces' approach, you can use Sikaflex 221 or similar instead of silicone.
If you're in any doubt as to whether this rail will fit your van, we recommend ordering a C-Channel Awning Rail Sample.
- 100% secure awning attachment
- Can be used to connect a sun canopy or a drive-away awning
- Supplied in universal 3m lengths for SWB and LWB vans
- For use with a standard 6mm core (7mm) Kador strip connection
- Made in the UK
- Our rails are packaged in UK made recycled fibre postal tubes that are 100% recyclable
Material: 1.5mm Aluminium
Profile Dimensions: 52mm (32mm base) x 33mm
*Please note: due to their length, awning rails cannot be processed by our courier as quickly as standard parcels – they are too large for conveyer belts and require manual handling. Consequently, although a Next Day Delivery service will be prioritised, it is not a guaranteed to arrive Next Day.
**Unfortunately, due to the length of this rail, it cannot be delivered outside the UK and there is a surcharge for Offshore Isles, Highlands and Northern Ireland.